At 200x faster than alternative technologies, fiber optic internet is the best technology available for delivering internet service to homes and businesses.
Named for the glass cabling used to connect communications, fiber optic internet provides several advantages over traditional metal communication lines. Whether you use the internet to watch tv, work from home or communicate with your loved ones, fiber offers the fastest, most reliable, and most secure internet connectivity available from any provider.
Which is why, the Roanoke Valley Broadband Authority chose this technology to connect Roanoke Valley businesses and residents to all the resources available on the world wide web.
Fiber Optic Internet:
• Allows you to upload and download data at the same speed. This is called synchronous speeds. Other services may allow you to receive data at high speeds, but when you try to upload a document or video to social media or an email for example it is a much slower process. Synchronous speeds can make sharing your data easier and can be critical from some technologies such as VOIP telephones.
• Offer greater bandwidth than metal cables. This means the cables carry more data to you quickly, and you will not see a reduction of speed when your neighbors are all online at the same time as you.
• Uses digital signals (the natural form of computer data) rather than electrical, so buried cables are not susceptible to interference from other electrical devices or radio signals.
• Cables are much thinner, lighter, and up to 8 times stronger than metal wires, making them less likely to be damaged and significantly more reliable in all weather conditions.
• Has no risk of fire hazards because electricity does not pass through optical fibers.
• Is more data secure because unlike traditional copper wires it is not possible to tap into a glass line without breaking it.
• Future-proofs your home. Fiber has the capacity to support future demands for high bandwidth services and smart home applications even as the number of connected devices we all rely on increase.
• Improves your property value. Studies have shown that the average American home can see a sales value increase of over $5000 when connected to fiber.